This is one of my favorite things to do for breakfast! The inspiration originally came from our friends at Cook With What You Have. For years they have provided our members with tips, ideas and recipes for how to use the fresh local veggies in our CSA boxes. This recipe works with chard, spinach, kale, collards and almost any other cooking greens or combo of greens that we grow. The measurements are not precise – if you have a big enough pan you can make this for a party or just do a single serving.
- Start with a heaping pile of chopped greens, enough to fill your pan to overflowing.
- Sauté on med heat with oil or butter for a few minutes until wilted and starting to release their juices. Salt to taste.
- Spread the sautéed greens evenly across the pan and make indentations in the greens for as many eggs as you want to poach. My 10″ cast iron fits 4 eggs comfortably.
- Reduce the heat to low and crack a fresh egg into each indentation.
- Cover and cook for 5 min (runny) or 6min (yolks starting to firm up)
- Serve topped with with a bit of smoked salt, spanish paprika, or goat cheese – yum!