This is a loose guideline rather than a strict recipe…
- one sweet potato, diced (a regular potato should work just fine)
- one parsnip, diced (optional)
- one medium large yellow onion, chopped
- one medium leek (white and most of the light green parts), chopped
- Four cloves garlic, smashed
- About 4 to six cups of mixed greens*, roughly chopped
- Two stalks celery, chopped
- Four cups homemade veggie broth (or any veggie broth, or chicken broth)
- About a teaspoon salt
- About 1/2 teaspoon red chile powder
- A few sprinkles black pepper
* Any collection of three or more greens should work. I used black kale (stemmed), chard (stemmed), collard greens (stemmed), parsley, cilantro, and a little bit of mint (about 1/4 cup – just because we had some). Spinach would be great, but we didn’t have any at the time.
- Sauté the onions and leeks and garlic about 10 minutes on low.
- Add sweet potato, parsnip, and broth and seasonings and bring to simmer and cook covered for 20 minutes
- Add greens and simmer another 10 minutes
- Let cool slightly and then puree in blender (or use an immersion blender)
Taste and correct seasonings.
When serving, add a little lemon juice to the bowl and/or maybe a dab of good extra virgin olive oil.