Time for summer squash! It comes in all shapes and sizes – one of my favorites is this Flying Saucer patty pan. We’re also growing yellow & green zucchini, yellow crookneck & italian costata romanesco so there will be lots to chose from in the share. Fresh summer squash has a sweet nutty flavor that shines on the grill or lightly sautéed.
It is going to be hot again this week so we’ll be harvesting early in the morning and doing lots of irrigation. Most of the farm is on drop irrigation but as we finish up the last of the summer transplanting we’ll put overhead sprinklers on that to keep it cool.
Amazing recipes for summer squash & fresh beans and everything else we grow on the farm are available to members at Cook With What You Have. If you joined our Summer CSA you will find your password in the member email. Enjoy 24/7 access to recipe inspiration!
This week your share may include…
- Fresh Beans: Eat them raw or lightly cooked – any way you slice them these green, yellow & purple beans are tender & tasty!
- Cabbage: Time to break out your favorite summer coleslaw recipe!
- Cucumbers: We have have some regular green slicers and we’re also growing a new variety called Silver Slicer. It is related to one of our favorite heirlooms, Boothby’s Blonde, and it has the same great heirloom flavor just with larger fruit!
- Sweet Corn: for dinner tonight!
- Garlic: Nice big heads of Early Chinese Pink.
- Parsley: Try using it like you would spinach or chard – chop up a heaping pile and sauté and add to pasta, polenta, frittata, etc. Or make hummus with the fava beans and add a big handful of parsley to that. I also pick whole leaves off the bunch and add them to my green salad. And you can try one of these three tasty Tabbouleh recipes recommendations… Yotam Ottolenghi from his cookbook Jerusalem which includes pomegranates and a traditional spice mixture. From David Lebovitz on his blog Living the Sweet Life in Paris – he is very particular and this recipe is very good. And last but not least – the simplest version which is also really good – from Ina Garten at her Barefoot Contessa series.
- Lettuce: Wow – this green summer crisp variety called Concept got BIG! All the heads are sweet and crunchy – enjoy lots of summer salad this week!
- Summer Squash: Several of different kinds to chose from.
Coming soon… Zesty Summer Radish!