Digging for the first new potatoes of the season can be challenging sometimes but this year we had a bumper crop! We’ve been going Nicola for a few years and I’m always impressed with it’s sweet mild flavor, thin skins and amazing productivity. The almond shaped tubers are a nice medium size with golden skin and golden flesh. It can be boiled, steamed or roasted and has a lower glycemic index than many potatoes. Enjoy!
Amazing recipes for new potatoes and everything we grow on the farm are available to members at Cook With What You Have. If you joined our Summer CSA you will find your password in the member email. Enjoy 24/7 access to recipe inspiration!
This week your share may include…
- Carrots: Sweet summer carrots are delicious!
- Garlic Bulbs: This Early Chinese Pink is one of my favorite varieties. It matures a month early than our mid-season garlic and has large cloves with pretty pink wrappers. The mild flavor makes it perfect in almost any dish.
- Lettuce Heads: Nothing better than a crisp summer salad.
- Joi Choi: There are lots of ways to cook these tasty asian greens. One of my favorites is this Noodle Salad with Shitake Mushrooms.
- Kohlrabi: These little beauties make a great raw snack food or cut them into little chunks and roast or sauté them. Make sure to fully peel the outer layer off and so you can enjoy the sweet crunchy center. Leaves can be cooked just like kale or collard greens.
- Cayenne Peppers: Chop these up for homemade red pepper flakes then use them with Napa or Choi Noodle Salad above.
- Napa Cabbage: So excited to see these beautiful dense heads! Use it to make a traditional kimchi, sauté it in stir fry, or make your favorite coleslaw recipe with it.
- New Yellow Potatoes: The skins are so thin on the first of the season potatoes you hardly need to peel them. Next up – baby red potatoes : )
Coming soon… Cucumbers & Summer Squash!