BASKET: ( 0 )
This week your share may include…
- Beans: Green Beans got an early start this season! This one is a bush bean called Provider. We also have purple pole beans and yellow beans and edemame coming soon…
- Napa Cabbage: So sweet and crunchy it makes a great asian slaw.
- Carrots: Finally! Last year we had a bumper crop of carrot, but this season they’ve been more challenging. Bunches of Nelson & Sugar Snax.
- Fresh Garlic: This is lots bigger than green garlic, but a little different than what you usually see at the store. These heads are almost full size with nice big cloves inside, but they have not been dried down so the result is fresh, juicy bursting with flavor garlic. Enjoy them while they last!
- Kohlrabi: Peel off the purple outer layer and the inside is sweet & crunchy similar to jicama with a hint of broccoli. Great on the crudité plate, grated into salad or slaw, or roasted.
- Lettuce Heads: Big beautiful buxom ruffled green heads – the variety is aptly named Salad Bowl.
- Potatoes: Beautiful new potatoes – the red is called Mountain Rose and the purple is Purple Majesty. As potatoes mature the skins thicken and “set” which helps protect the tuber during storage. This time of year we are harvesting immature aka New or Creamer potatoes. These have fabulously thin fragile parchment like skin which may even begin to come off when you wash them. New potatoes are prized for their high moisture content an creamy texture – try them steamed or roasted.
- Summer Squash: Great on the grill – slice patty pan varieties through the scalloped edge and smaller zucchini lengthwise, brush with a bit of olive oil and enjoy!
- Spring Onions: Super sweet Walla Walla’s again this week. For more ideas on how to use spring onions visit CSA shareholder and Nostrana chef Kelly Myers blog.