Hope you had a delicious holiday! More tasty treats in the share this week. Here are some highlights from today’s CSA box. Shareholders can leverage their membership with free access to glorious recipes for all these veggies at Cook With What You Have.
- Love those Leeks! This King Richard variety has long self-blanching shanks which is tender and delicious. Sauté them in butter or olive oil and use in any dish that calls for onions. Or feature them in a dish like Leeks Vinaigrette or Leek Galette. Even the less tender dark green tops are still delicious in soup stock.
- Celeriac aka Celery Root is a gnarly looking root with a mild celery flavor. It is traditionally used in this french Remoulade and make a delicious addition to soups or stews.
- Chioggia Radicchio is the first of our early red chicories. Slightly more bitter than the escarole at the last pickup, but still balanced with a delicious nutty sweetness. Try Katherine’s Radicchio & Fennel Salad with Orange or if you’re a shareholder, check out the more than 3 dozen recipes for chicory at Cook With What You Have.
- Gills Golden Pippin Squash is a great mid-century variety developed here in Portland by the Gills Brothers Seed Co. It is related to acorn squash but these smaller & sweeter – the perfect single serving size! Just cut them in half and roast them.
- Aji Hot Peppers are native to Bolivia with mid-range heat and top notch flavor. Put a whole pepper in a pot of beans or soup. Or grind them up for a rich citrusy seasoning – think red pepper flakes – except these are orange and more flavorful!
Did I mention that if you’re not a shareholder, you can still take home fresh, sustainably farmed veggies like these even though the season’s started?
AJI HOT PEPPERS
GILLS GOLDEN SQUASH
Does this sound delicious, but you’re not a shareholder? That’s an easy problem to solve! Come on board for our amazing Winter/Spring CSA on a prorated basis at one of our two pickup locations (SE Portland or Lake Oswego) and take home fresh, local, sustainably-farmed produce like this every other week!