The sweet corn surprised me today! I thought we were at least a week away from harvest, but all that hot weather over the weekend kicked it into high gear. The corn has had some challenges so the ears are a bit smaller than usual and some have slightly uneven pollination. That said, they are delicious with terrific sweet old fashioned corny flavor!!
The Red Tropea Onions are also a tasty treat. These fabulous onions originate along the coast near Tropea in Calabria. They are naturally sweet, but not because they have a higher sugar content. In fact, they have less pyretic acid which makes them less harsh and pungent and lets the sweetness shine through. They are delicious in salad, on burgers, and on pizza. They are also traditionally used in antipasto or marmalade. The Italians have even been know to make gelato with them?! I’m likely going to use them with the Binje yellow potatoes and flowering dill to make my grandma’s potato salad
Some of the things we’re working on at the farm recently…
- The crew transplanted & fertilized all the winter cauliflower & cabbage.
- Later this week we’re transplanting Purple Sprouting Broccoli!
- Lots of weeding and more watering!
This is the 1st week of the DAHLIA BOUQUET CSA shares. Bouquets will be available at the end of the driveway as you exit the CSA pickup. Prorated flower shares are still available and we will have a few single bouquets for sale.
Highlights from the CSA box this week…
- So many different things to do with Eggplant!
- More than 39 recipes use Dill on the Cook With What You Have website.
- Red Tropea Sweet Onions would make a delicious Quick Pickle or combine them with Cucumbers to make this refreshing & tasty Quick Sweet Pickle.
- Summer Squash is going strong. There are more than 3 dozen recipes for zucchini, crookneck, Patty Pan and all the other kinds of courgettes at Cook With What You Have
Coming Soon: Tomatoes!!
RED TROPEA SWEET ONION
YELLOW BINJI POTATOES
Not a shareholder? Come on board for a prorated Summer CSA season at one of our two pickup locations (SE Portland or Lake Oswego) and take home fresh, local, sustainably-farmed produce like this every week!