I love this time of year! The transition from summer to fall makes for some delicious menu combinations. It is fun to have tomatoes & sweet peppers alongside winter squash & fingerling potatoes. Next wee well probably start harvesting our fall King Richard leeks. This scrumptious seasonal change also signals the transition from the summer to our Winter CSA Share – hope you can join us!!
The Winter CSA season runs from Nov 2nd – April 12th. The pickups are twice a month on Tuesday from 5-7pm at my house. Curious about what veggies you’ll get? Click here to see what has been included in our past winter shares.
Highlights from the CSA box this week…
- So many different things to do with Mizuna!
- More than 40 recipes use Hakurei Salad Turnips on the Cook With What You Have website.
You’ll find one or more of these varieties of Sweet Pepper in your share this week:
- Jimmy Nardello is a long skinny red pepper that looks like a giant cayenne, but is actually a very SWEET Italian frying pepper.
- Petit Marseillais are a beautiful orange pepper from the south of France with thin wavy walls and a citrusy flavor. They can sometimes have a bit of heat.
- Liebesapfel & Doe Hill are red & yellow pimento type peppers. They are short and squat with deep ruffled lobes and thick sweet flesh.
HAKUREI SALAD TURNIPS
GILLS GOLDEN SQUASH
RED TROPEA ONION
Does this sound delicious, but you’re not a shareholder? That’s an easy problem to solve! Come on board for our amazing Winter/Spring CSA – just about to start – at one of our two pickup locations (SE Portland or Lake Oswego) and take home fresh, local, sustainably-farmed produce like this every week!